08-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #35
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post
The build quality: My main concern with going from Lexus and Porsche. I must say that I am actually disappointed with the overall feeling of "solidness" of the car. Lexus is definitely a much better built car, and Porsche is still much better as well. The car seems to lack the feeling of confidence in reliability and driving feel of quality.
Porsche is actually been voted the best quality, and it has one of the best quality car. Lexus has the best reliability. BMW are not known for either. All long time BMW owners can tell you that.

Quote:

The Engine: This is the best part of the car by far, and is very fun. I currently stock ( I am going to buy another JB3 or CP-E Standback), but the engine is very exciting, and the tone is great. This does not come without flaws, as the car does sound bad at idle when cold, and I have low RPM misfires that I am going to take it to the dealer for at 13k miles. With boltons, the car is an animal ( I was making 384 RWTQ on a mustang dyno with just RR intake, JB3, and Remus quad axle-back exhaust on a mix of 91 and 93). I am sure I was making over 400 with the RR downpipes, CP-BOV/hardpipe, and 93 on map 5.
This is what BMW is know for - the engine.

Quote:
The transmission: I had very mixed emotions from the beginning. It is pretty notchy and sloppy, and definitely not the best for a car of this caliber. I added the BMW SSK and CDV mod, and while it is better, it still leaves a lot to be desired for the reputation BMW has for silky smooth drivelines. It couldn't hold a candle to the 550 edition Boxster S I had before this car.
Porsche is in another league - you really can't compare both. If you compare it to other makes, the BMW has a great gear box.

Quote:
The suspension: I can sum this up pretty quickly: It Blows. It is very nervous at high speeds, and leans like a 1970's muscle car. This will soon be taken care of with KW coilovers, and with my front sway bar I already have. I would recommend this to anyone buying this car as the sport suspension labeled as an ///M suspension is a joke.
Couldn't agree more - this is certainly the worst BMW suspension set up I have driven. It sacrificed dynamics with comfort for the runflats. While the performance suspension (which is hopefully to be installed soon) from people on the forum, should have been the M suspension.

Quote:
Logic 7 Stereo: It is definitely a great stereo, and much better than any Bose system than I've ever listed to. It is not near as good as a Mark Levinson or Nakamichi, but I am happy with it.

It is great, but not that far off from the Lexus Mark Levinson. While the Lexus Mark Levinson was the best I have heard in a car (I haven't yet experienced BMW Inidividual Sound), it is a disappointment carrying the Mark Levinson name. Of course you can't compare to any decent home system.

Quote:
I-Drive: The least user-friendly Nav system/ Car control system I have ever used. Stop cheaping out BMW and get a dash integrated touch-screen system like Lexus.
The new system is much much much much better. It is much safer easier to navigate than the Lexus touch screen. Too bad you had the 08.

Quote:
Comfort Access: I would pass on this option if I built the car again as it is overpriced, and can sometimes not allow you to unlock the doors without removing the key from your pocket.

Not perfect, but I can't leave without CA now. Every of my car will have CA. It is to do with height. It's fine if you hang the key around your neck... which I do before I had CA.

Quote:
Overall: The car is very nice, but BMW needs to spend more time on suspension, and options development. They also need to put in place a maintenance program that that will keep your car in good shape if you follow, instead of pushing a crappy one and advertising free maintenance. It's disingenuous, and I hope nobody actually waits 15k miles to change oil as it will damage your engine in the long run.
In summary, the main thing BMW fails here is the suspension setup.. it is a poor compromise with runflats. You have valid points on others, but you can't really compare BMW with Porsche in shifting and dynamics. You are looking at very different price point there. The 1 series is the entry to BMW. What the 1er still holds despite the poor suspension, is its dynamics. With a proper suspension setup, you can have much better predictability. Good review, but I don't think it is fair for you to compare it to a Porsche. (or Lexus for reliability and built)
Appreciate 0