View Single Post
      04-23-2017, 12:33 AM   #56
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Well, I did these poly mounts today and I rather like them. For me, the increase in NVH was extremely minimal and subtle. The time when I hear it the most is when accelerating hard; I hear a bit more engine noise transmitted to the cabin. I rather like it. As I said however, it's extremely subtle. I've only driven the car for 30 min. or so, but these are initial impressions.

In terms of shifting improvement, there is a noticeable effect. I was running the E46 M3 mounts before the swap, and I'd say the improvement is about equal to the change from stock to the M3 mounts, so, a bit pricey at $70, but a worthwhile (to me) and noticeable effect.

I really think the increase in NVH is related to how the mounts are actually installed, so perhaps that warrants a brief descrip of my install method:

1) Get car in the air and and remove the (tiny) rear and middle under trays. No need to remove the front.

2) With the trans exposed, place your jack under the protruding lug on the bottom (sorry no pic) of the trans toward the rear. Should be obvious; it's the largest and points straight down about 2-3".

3) Jack until the jack pad barely contacts the lug, then give it another partial pump until you can see the barest whisker of upward movement - perhaps a half mm or less. You are SUPPORTING the trans only, and the goal is to leave it in the exact position it was in with the lower alum brace installed.

4) Remove the top two mount nuts and the lower four brace bolts, pull the brace backward to disengage, then take it to your workbench.

5) On the bench, remove the old mounts, position and mount the new ones and torque the lower mounting nuts.

6) Get back under the car and slide the two mount studs forward into the two trans brackets opposite from the way you removed them.

7) Start the four brace mounting bolts and get them finger tight, then slide the brace around until the bolt heads and washers are exactly centered in the depressions in the brace. Torque them in a circular fashion.

8) Lower the jack and remove, so that the trans is fully resting on the mounts\brace, then tighten the top mount nuts.

This ensures that the trans\brace\mounts don't move around and no stress is introduced during the replacement.

Overall, I'd recommend these over the M3 mounts if you can get over the price,

ianc
Attached Images

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0