View Single Post
      01-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
Captisock
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Metallic Black 128i Coupe 6MT

Keep my 1er or get an S5

Hi everyone,

Recently I've been considering getting out of my 128i (with 43k miles on it) after getting a little fed up with the car's uncomfortable ride and after almost getting into an accident because I couldn't accelerate fast enough on the ramp because of loss of traction in snow (with snow tires on). I've had this car for about 3 years now, and am now considering trading it in for something more practical but still sporty. I test drove an S5 and really enjoyed the drive, alot more comfortable and the AWD is a definite advantage because of how much snow we get around here. I've also looked at the 335 xdrive but I feel like I'd be getting the same intrusive uncomfortable ride because of the run-flats. My problem right now with trading in the car is the cost of doing so vs. keeping the car for another 3 years - but then I'm also considering the offset by any costs associated with keeping my car like changing the clutch, tires, etc.

S5 would cost approx. 400/month to lease if I trade in, plus I'd buy snow tires for it, tint the windows, etc. Another option is the VW Golf R, which wouldn't cost anything to lease if I traded in but is kind of a downgrade in a lot of ways - and doesn't look as nice as the s5 or the 1 series. Aside from that, though, there are still a bunch of additional costs you come across. I also have extended warranty on my 128 which is good until 2016.

I'd appreciate your advice very much, and suggestions for other similar options would be great, too!
Appreciate 0