11-05-2008, 02:49 AM   #64
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
"I believe it may be a combination of both high sustained heat with possible piston "knockback" that is causing this."

I belive the "knockback" theory and it is quite possible since the pad was not an exact fit to the OEM caliper and it might move/vibrate/hammering/knockback during hard braking. The unwanted movement combined with excess heat could damage the ceramic inserts.
FYI, knockback doesn't occur during braking, rather it occurs when no brake pressure (or not enough) is in the system, and the rotor movement (caused by tolerance play in the wheel bearings) causes the rotor to slap up against the pads, thereby pushing the pads and pistons back into the caliper (which has a fixed position relative to other brake bits).

Knockback is cured by:
1. using floating rotors, so rotor can stay relative to the caliper
2. using pressure residual valves in the system to maintain slight brake pressure up against the pads to resist knockback (most common solution)
3. reducing the free-play tolerance in the bearing (only done if there is excessive play)