06-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #51
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

I appreciate your perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkdog View Post
First I feel a little like Spongebob, who occasionally for some reason is propelled from below the surface up into the rarified air of the atmosphere, because here I am in the 1M forum and I only have a 128.

I stopped in here because I am looking for more information on the delete, which I plan to do on my car.

I felt it necessary to post because it seems like everyone wants to avoid the most tedious part of the job (bleeding the system) and is avoiding it by saying it's not necessary.

There are two reasons bleeding is necessary, and I do not care about the pedigree of shops that do not bleed - just because someone does it a whole bunch of times and charges people for it does not make it right.

1. Air can be compressed; brake fluid cannot. Imagine putting a spring in the middle of your hydraulic lines, so that the pressure at the pedal is not efficiently transferred to the end of the pedal's travel. That's what air in the line does. By pressing the pedal, you're compressing the air in the system instead of moving the fluid - that's why air makes the pedal seem spongy. And if your pedal is not spongy after doing this, it doesn't mean it won't be after asll the tiny bubbles of air combvine into one big compressible one.

Second, air contains moisture. Water is the enemy in a system like this - it causes corrosion and a host of other maladies which can take time to develop. So when you're wondering "how come my ____ failed after only _____ miles", look back to your shop practices.

I have not yet done the mod because I am not yet sure I have the knowhow/tools/confidence to do it right and am planning on helping a friend do his brakes first so I can go through the bleeding process first. I know it is a simple mod but simplicity is relative. I view "you don't have to bleed the system" with the same level of understanding as "you can wait 15,000 miles between oil changes".

If warranted, my apologies for breaking the waterline.
Appreciate 0