02-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #47
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
BMW has multiple layers to protect the motor- overboost function is disabled, timing pulled out based on on temperatures, etc. You're kidding yourself if you're justifying your purchase based on some imagined improvement in durability. Dump 100 into it at the track and you'll be far better off.

Porsche charges 3k to remove 20 lbs from the nose of their cars with a Lithium battery. BMW probably spent that to more than that to remove 1/2 that weight from the roof of the M3. You only paid a grand to add that same amount of weight in the wrong place on the car. Sounds like a deal.

With road course use in hotter weather an intercooler may be justified, but it does come with a price other than the dollar value, and like everything else that goes into a car weight should be considered in the equation.
I agree. It is like spending a few thousand to an exhaust and then instead of saying that you love the sound or it looks cooler etc. which are the real (and enough) reasons, you go and justify it to yourself and others by saying that it is how much lighter than the stock muffler. I mean in a car which has registered issues at the rear with lack of sufficient down force and apparent lift at high speeds, we go and take out the weight from right there with joy and pride. Bad? Don't know really, just doesn't sound "ideal" to me and I did the same myself, my exhaust is lighter than stock. Do I notice it? Not really. But I am not justifying my exhaust purchase by saying that it shaved a lot of weight which is very important etc. It sounds good, feels good, looks good, cures the drone, puts more hp and tq but shaves the weight from the very wrong place.

I agree everything goes in comes with a price and it is never all pretty; well maybe with the shitty stock mids, anything else is perfect.

Let's go back to topic fellows, for people who need to buy an aftermarket IC which is the best one and why so. I know I will go with ETS when I need to add one, since it seems to come with least burden and thanks to everyone who confirmed this impression I had.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0