10-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #34
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
I agree...sounds like your Vanos or camshaft timing is out if you lose power at higher rpms. Its either timing and or plus a replacement of the vanos is required (?) Im guessing. That sucks. Overall different from the OPs issue since his was due to sheared off camshaft bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM135i View Post
Unfortunatly I have to confirm this.. I already had this issue three times on my 2008 135i with 48k km (30k miles) on the odometer..

After the first time I visited a BMW dealership in Augsburg, who updated the software (200,- EUR and one empty tank later ) the failure was still there. If I switch off the engine for a few minutes, it opereates normally and no failure is displayed..

I had run the car for several weeks normally (without driving at high speed) and the failure seemed to be gone. But as soon as I entered the Autobahn and was driving for a few minutes aroung 120 - 150 mph the failure appeared instantly.

I know that there must be a Vanos problem since a friend of mine (who is working at BMW) analysed the error cache of the car. So far I have not visited another dealership yet..

Anyone knows if there can occure other problems if I dont replace the Vanos and drive the car as if there would be no failure?

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0