Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1560 View Post
I check multiple things when cycling:
type of the driver in the car
the front wheels: they tell you more than the blinkers
got hit a few times though
And NEVER try to take over a truck or bus on the right - or remain next to it for a few moments - when approaching a side-street on the right hand side. You stand virtually no chance against those big wheels if the driver turns into that side-street. I keep behind of these and check what happens. Those few seconds are worth my safety.

Same for taxi-drivers on the brink of (aggressively) disregarding your priority: let them get away with it - sure, the taxi-driver's insurance has to pay for your damage, but it ain't worth the hassle of discussions and repairs. Again, those few seconds are worth it to avoid an uncomfortable situation and regrets. Better safe than sorry.

And then those stepping out of a car without checking their side mirror. One of my accidents happened that way: young dude swayed his door open and I can still hear him say "Salut et à demain!". A fraction of a second later I "deformed" that car door a little bit. Lucky for him his leg was avoided or he could have been required to pay a visit to the doctor or hospital.

This ain't no Walt Disney world.

Last edited by Artemis; 01-06-2012 at 04:12 AM..
Appreciate 0