View Single Post
      10-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #32
elbles
Rep
Drives: Volkswagen GTI (MK6)

I took a test drive in a 2012 128i tonight, but unfortunately it was without either of the sports packages. It's the first test drive where I've really focused on comparing it to the GTI, and here's what I noticed:

* Despite being an automatic, it felt as quick as the GTI, which is somewhat surprising (I know it's up 30 HP on the VW, but it's also got some weight and an auto) - great sound too
* The steering felt a little boat-like compared to the GTI. The GTI has an immediacy to it that the Oner didn't have. I don't know if this can be attributed to the lack of the sports package or not, but it was surprising.
* The improvement in balance compared to the GTI was noteworthy. You can feel the weight distribution and RWD making a difference in how it drove.
* It really is a draw between the two cars, as far as interior is concerned - I know the Oner is cheap for a BMW, but at $13,000 more than my GTI, I wish it felt like $13,000 more car

All in all... it's a difficult choice. On paper, the Oner is everything I want. In the real world, it's hard to tell.

Any words of advice? I'd be particularly interested to hear from anyone who's driven a base car, and one with one of the sports packages...
Appreciate 0