View Single Post
      12-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #11
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

It's all guessing but the dyno runs of the guy who put the 3 stage on but didn't re-tune suggest to me that the 3 stage inlet is not a magic bullet (he didn't do a before and after but others have posted a stock 128 at about the same rear wheel power - but the car that was changed had some miles). Perhaps it's a lot different with the tune. I wonder what removal of the carbon filter on our inlet + possibly an intake + possibly a cat-back exhaust (i.e. magnaflow) would do versus the 3 stage. You could, of course, do all these things.

I'm wondering if the 3 stage doesn't do more in the mid range than the upper end where ultimate power is developed. Part of my speculation is that my car feels pretty strong above 3,000 rpm but a little sluggish below that. I also tend to assume 2 stage = one stage for low rpm and another for high. Same logic suggests to me that 3 stage = low, medium and high rpm intake runners.

Jim