04-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #69
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86
Sorry for the newbie question but do Auto cars require transmission fluid changes and if so, when is it recommended? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
According to the owner's manual, BMW North America says change automatic transmission fluid every 100,000 miles. Mike Miller of Roundel recommends it every 60,000 miles, and to only use the official BMW automatic transmission fluid. It is a comparatively expensive procedure due to the cost of the fluid - I think approximately $400 (USD), at least at U.S. dealers.

And I saw a transmision repair shop over here in Germany (one of the last places that STILL takes aparts a/t trannies) say that they would change the a/t fluid every 39K miles! Just FYI.

Also... I have seen a guy over at the e90 forum say that there is another fluid that can be used instead of the BMW one. He did some reasearch and found the company that makes the a/t fluid for BMW. Its fairly cheap too at around $6 per liter. I think you need between 8 and 13 liters depending on doing a total drain (tq convertor) or just tranny change.
Appreciate 0