Thread: Max Camber
View Single Post
      11-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #17
Hobbe
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: AW E82 1M

From memory max -1.5 camber front and rear with OEM suspension on 1M. No pins pulled.
(It could be closer to -1.4 rear. Will double check)
A slight toe-out front and toe-in rear.

I've raced a full season with Toyo 888 (265/35/18 and 285/30/18).
Rear tire wear is nice and even.
Front tire outer edge is hardly worn, but the tire shows the "typical" Toyo wear pattern (1/3 into the tire is more worn then elsewhere), but I've had this pattern on my other car too (and that car had KW Competition suspension with camber plates, and -4.5 camber), and so have my friends who are all racing their cars.

Some other components worth looking into are driving style (e.g. longer less aggressive vs. short aggressive vs. just pXXX poor planned turn-ins/turns), tire type, tire width, and tire pressure.
Some tracks are also nicer to your tires than others. We have a track on our side of the pond which is both infamous and democratic; it eats front left tires no matter who or what you are.

To recommend something is always difficult. Driving experiences, driving styles, and the kind of tracks we drive on tend to differ a lot.
However, sure you would benefit from more negative camber, especially if the car is living most of its life on the race track, but it works OK with only -1.5 if you drive for fun more than on time.

This is a driver from our club in his E46 M3 on a typical track day, and on a typical local track:

Toyo's own 888 recommendations:
Operating Temperature: 160°F to 220°F
Hot Inflation Pressures: 32 to 38 (psi)
Camber: -2.5° to -5.0°
Caster: As much positive as possible

Last edited by Hobbe; 11-01-2012 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 0