06-10-2010, 02:27 AM   #12
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatjoez View Post
can someone show me a diagram or explain a bit further how the "wheels rolling" turns the engine?

i sorta get the rest, I just dont get why BMW can't tell the car to stop injecting when the car is idling?

like this whole start-stop why didnt they put it in the 135i whats so hard?
I'm pretty sure a diagram isn't necessary. The engine turns the wheels when you're accelerating - so the wheels must also turn the engine when you're not. It's a pretty simple concept - there's a physical connection between the engine, transmission and wheels when you're in gear. Rolling down a hill means your wheels are spinning and that turns the engine too. I don't see how I can make this simpler

If the car stopped injecting fuel then you wouldn't be idling. With no force to move the pistons, the engine would shut off. Sure there are many cars with start/stop technology but this idea hasn't caught on to most cars yet.

Look in the end idling doesn't use THAT much fuel. The consumption metre shows a high figure because mathematically, the figure should be infinity. Consumption = fuel use/distance traveled. Idle = 0 distance traveled.

Therefore, consumption = x/0 = infinity.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0