12-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #51
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca06Mcoupe View Post
I remember from the initial testing (Cayman vs Z4M Coupe comparisons) reviewers citing Cayman probably had advantage with Advanced Michelins.
Z4M Coupe was shipped with Conti's (as a cost saving measure?) So, maybe Z4M Coupe bests 8:12 with the better tires??
Having had both the Conti (which suck big time) vs. Dunlop Star Specs (which are fantastic) on the Z4M I can say unequivocally the Z4M would have been faster with better tires (PS2s). The Contis were awful.

The Z4M comes with a less-than-optimal front camber settings (about .-5, and you can get ~ -1.0 w/o modifications). The Cayman S, even with PASM, can only get to around ~-1.0 in front as well if you push it (coming from the factory with about -.5).

If the 1M is running M3 suspension parts (IIRC it is), it's probably set around -1 up front (stock for the M3). The M3's suspension design requires much less aggressive camber settings given the suspension design/geometry most cars would need a lot more negative camber to achieve (the suspension design is fantastic). I'll bet it's damn fun in regard to handling as the M3's suspension set-up was damn good (just too large and heavy a car IMO). And, I'd also bet it's also running PS2s or better.

Bottom line, tires (and the range of available camber settings available stock and factory defaults) make a huge difference. Three years in terms of tire technology makes a big difference.

The 1M is a great effort (aside from the engine) and there's lots to like here--especially the focus on weight reduction and eschewing of excess luxury. We get a fantastic suspension, LSD, room for 2 children, or a dog, or some excess luggage in the back. It's a move in the right direction (again, engine aside) as lighter (IMO) is more fun, more agile, and better. Give me something Cayman S like in handling and weight plus room for my dog in the back with an engine that's M-worthy and I might be back looking at BMWs again.

Slap a variable geometry turbo design in there (an "S" turbo motor if you will) to allow it to run like a bat out of hell to redline (S65 engine dynamics) and wow, that would be something. I like the lighter and smaller direction--more E30 M3 like--which is great. We just need a powerplant that is M-worthy to go along with it. Are there any rumors of the next series of M cars using variable geometry turbos? That would be a way to provide the flat torque curve and top-end performance and dynamics people are so passionate about.

Last edited by Finnegan; 12-12-2010 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0