08-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #21
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
Well, the Thursday delivery didn't happen. My CA didn't know what happened and didn't know where my car was.

I called BMWNA's Euro Delivery office to find out what was going on. They said that the car is still waiting for clearance from the Department of Agriculture. So, the BMW Owner's Circle tracking information is false and misleading. It says that my car made it to the Delivery Center on the 21st. That just isn't true, it never made it to the Delivery Center. The ED people also said that the tracking information given to the dealer is just an estimate. So the information that the CA has is totaly useless.

BMW says 4-6 weels for an ED redelivery. What they are not saying is that it can take 2 weeks to get your car on a ship, 2 weeks to get to a US port, up to 5 weeks for Customs, up to 5 weeks for Agriculture, a week at the delivery center, and a week on the truck. So the ED redelivery time is really 4-16 weeks and BMW has absolutely no way of knowing how long it will take for Customs and Agriculture clearance.

If I had known that it could possibly take 16 weeks for a redelivery I probably would not have done the Euro Delivery.
I can relate. The most frustrating part of ED is definitely the re-delivery wait and the uncertainty associated with it. I had a similar experience where my car hit the port and then went into some sort of black hole. No one could tell me what was happening with it or when to expect it.

This was for a West Coast delivery which takes even longer than the East Coast due to distance and the Panama Canal transit. In addition, when my car is "at the port" - it's less than 30 miles from me. The dealer that I bought from is on the same exit off the freeway that you'd take to get to the port. It was so close that I could taste it.

And I waited. And waited. It took about 20 days for it to get through customs.

But at the end of the day, you still had a great time in Europe and you'll have a great car once you get it. Just hang in there. Many on the ED board over at bfest have been there. What really sucks is to hear from those lucky sods that got their car in 5 weeks.

The moment you can head to the dealer and be reunited with your baby will be priceless. Good luck!