Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Start gently, keep the DSC on, and let the car work for you. Best I can say.

Others can pitch in here.
I've had the opposite experience with leaving DSC on. It cuts your throttle input in and out and doesn't give you enough wheelspin to get any traction. Use DTC mode or even turn DSC+DTC all the way off (it sounds crazy but it worked best for me getting up a very steep snow covered hill). Use 1st gear and balance clutch + throttle input as much as possible (some slipping may be necessary) slowing adding throttle and releasing clutch until you get grip. Try to keep your wheels as straight as possible and don't give too much throttle input, just enough until you feel your tires getting grip and the car start to move. RESIST the urge to add or subtract throttle input, keep consistent throttle input no matter what or you will either spin your wheels or start moving sideways. Once you are moving up the hill don't stop until you are at the top unless its an emergency (car in front of you, etc). 1st and 2nd gears are your friend here.

The other keys to winter driving as mentioned by others are to avoid sudden changes including turning, braking or throttle when possible. The more consistent you are in your driving inputs the less likely you will be to have problems.

Oh and I always carry a small shovel in my trunk in case you inevitably do get stuck but fortunately I've never had to use it. I've heard sand or kitty litter under your tires also helps you break free but have never had to do that either.

Don't see "letting the computer do the work" and "gunning it" as being good strategies if you are stopped and have to start on a hill or the bottom of one. Even if you have momentum ahead of a hill if you "gun it" too hard you might find yourself sideways or worse especially if there is black ice hidden under the snow.

Last edited by Lucky1; 10-10-2012 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0