View Single Post
      05-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #3
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Welcome!

Cheaping out on tyres is the worst thing you can do for performance. I wouldn't even bother doing power mods until you have decent rubber on there. You'll just spin up the tyres and never be able to make the most of it. DSC will still be kicking in in 3rd gear

Out of all the mods I have done to my car, sticky non-runflat tyres were the best thing I have fitted to the car. Improves the ride comfort, traction and grip. If you're concerned about busting rims, this will certainly improve things.

I found upgrading the suspension to be an upgrade in ride comfort. The stock suspension has poor dampers so while it is very soft, it isnt comfortable. I've gone to stiffer Bilstein B12 suspension and while its firmer, it absorbs the bumps better cos of the superior damping. Combined this setup with camber plates, m3 control arms and nolathane rear subframe bushings and its a very very capable setup now. The suspension is no substitute for good tyres though, can't solve your traction issues if you have cheap rubber.

If you want good consistent power:
Intake
Downpipes
Intercooler
MHD tune (flash tune)

More power:
Ethanol MHD tune (E40 tune or go custom)
Upgraded low pressure fuel pump to support the extra fuel demand

At the dyno day we saw 250rwkw on 98 fuel, 280rwkw on ethanol fuel cars on a low reading dyno.

I have found most axlebacks are designed for cars without downpipes. Once you put downpipes in they normally drone like crazy and are pretty damn loud, the stock downpipes are very effective mufflers. Stock exhaust + downpipes is moderately loud with the windows down.