View Single Post
      08-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #38
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

I haven't had the car for a year yet - I originally picked it up in Munich in October of last year as one of the 1st 2009s. I think that makes it a bit different than the OP's review which was an '08. I respect his opinions, but thought it might be helpful to share mine as well.

Build Quality is mediocre. I just recently had the car in for a major service appointment at 7,500 miles to address, the rear view mirror that wouldn't stay in place, the cracked third brake light, the rattling trim on the dash, the rattles in the back deck, a jagged edge on the BMW emblem on the steering wheel, some intermittent iDrive issues (one of the earliest '09s after all) and an interim oil change. That list of issues exceeds the number of issues by far that I had in years of ownership of my e46 330i, but doesn't begin match the number of problems with my 1st gen Z3. So, I'll put it right in the middle.

The engine is top notch. Lots of zing where and when you want it and still gets very good fuel economy for a 300 hp car. The performance is a very good balance of price/performance/fuel economy.

The 6MT transmission is a delight. This car is my daily driver and I do not have any significant issues with it at all. On one fateful day I spent 3 hours in stop and go traffic and other than my leg starting to cramp up, the gear box itself remained easily to use, with great daily usability. I always know what gear I'm in and it's easy to drive both smooth and aggressively when needed.

The handling is right on par for a GT. I'm not sure why so many people are attempting to compare it directly to sports cars. Perhaps it is because it really doesn't have any natural competitors, but the 1 isn't a Boxster. The 1 has a back seat; It sits up higher and has a different character. That's not to say that it isn't a joy to drive in the twisties - I think it's great to do some canyon carving. But my point is to have reasonable expectations. It does a very capable job for what it is.

I had no issues with high speed stability throughout any of my extended touring on the Autobahn at triple digit speeds. On other trips to Las Vegas from L.A. I've also had no issues. The latter was certainly not at extended triple digit speeds but sometimes traffic gets moving out there.

The stock run flats are clearly a compromise as they are heavy and negatively impact the theoretically ideal handling characteristics of the car. However, given the conditions of our stateside roads, it is a compromise I am willing to live with. I'm just hoping that by the time I run through these the next gen runflats will be available.

The technology options are fantastic. With the combination of the '09 iDrive, satellite radio and the iPod adapter the entertainment options are endless. The iDrive serves as a complete vehicle information, entertainment and management system that ties together all the options, from the 3D maps, the traffic info, the iPod searching and playlists, bluetooth phone integration, voice command, options for the "gong" volume, the parked car vent, etc.

Comfort Access is probably considered part of the technology options, but since it's available without the other stuff, I'll mention it. If you want a system that works perfectly every time, wait for the next generation of CA. If you are ok with about a 95% system, then you'll like it. I am fine with it as is and love to not have to remove the keys from my pocket or bag. It's especially helpful when my hands are full and I don't have to fumble for the key as well.

I also have the Premium package which includes the fold away mirrors. I don't use them that often as the 1 is a small car already, but it's nice to have when I have to park on the street.

Maintenance intervals are probably too long. I had the dealer change my oil after I took redelivery with about 1,500 miles on it. And then again at 7,500 miles. Especially during the early engine life cycle, I think this is pretty important.

In summary, I find the 1 to be a very capable and fun daily driver. It isn't a perfect car - they have yet to make any such car - but it does a lot of things right and I have fun on every cloverleaf on-ramp I can. And that is important to me, because cars are more that just a way to get from one point to another for me. I want to have fun along the way!