View Single Post
      11-29-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

The lack of rub strips on modern cars is a joke. Style over function. That's why every time I see a Rio I think: God bless Kia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc View Post
You guys just figuring on living with the dents?
Nope. I am a parking Nazi. I will park at the far end of an empty lot to avoid dings. Figure the extra walking does me good anyway.

If you must park next to someone, there are a number of strategies you can employ:

* avoid SUVs because their rub strips are worthless and they leave nasty dimples, especially the rear doors

* avoid areas where people are coming and going a lot. Starbucks are the worst. Park in an area of the lot that isn't right in front of a store with quick customer turnover.

* avoid beaters (sorry, but if they don't care about their own car, they don't care about yours)

* park in the middle of the space, unless you can park at the end of a row, which is always preferable

* avoid cars that look like kidmobiles. Kids lack the motor control of adults, and will frequently push doors open hard. Minivans can be an exception because of their sliding doors.

* never double park. Door dings are better than getting keyed because you parked like an asshole.

* avoid valet at all costs. If unavoidable, cross fingers and pray.

You'd be surprised how effective these strategies can be when used religiously. No system is perfect, but you can cut down on a lot of damage this way.

Damaging other people's cars with your car makes you liable for the property damage inflicted. It's not "OK". It's not "one of those things". It's not a crime (unless it is intentional), but you are liable for the damage under the law. It eludes me why some people think this isn't the case.
Appreciate 0