View Single Post
      03-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #43
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Update - SSK

OK, I have had the SSK installed for a while now. Yesterday I upgraded the shift knob to the Performance Shift Knob, and I figured now is as good a time as any to drop in for an update.

There's really not much to say. It feels great, like it has since the SSK was installed. In driving a non-SSK vehicle (loaner) the shift throws seemed enormous.

Adding the Performance knob? Meh - jury is still out. Initial impressions are it's too small and too low with the armrest in place. It also seems rather hard to grip the knob itself without messing with the boot, as the boot wants to sort of fold over up the knurled portion of the knob leaving less of the knob exposed.

I don't think the knob is worth what it lists for; around $118 US? - I was able to get it online for less than half that so I figured I'd give it a try. I did not change out the boot to the alcantara one, so that could account for the above paragraph.

I'll have to give it some time. I just miss being able to curl my fingers over the contour of the old knob and give it a flick (yes, I'm still talking about the car!); this one seems to need to be held delicately.

I'll check back in a while...