United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
That should really be an option or standart in every market, so useful details. There are also additional latches in the trunk with the storage pack plus if the car is w/out nav. you get an additional storage compartment that also looks good where you would have the nav. screen and lastly a second cup holder instead of the i-drive.

Found the iphone pouch, really cool, so well hidden I think I could leave a credit card or some cash there if I get too brave sometimes. Who would notice that? I didn't! Thanks Aussie.
After some searching, I discovered that the additional latches in the trunk can be retrofit allowing use of the cargo net. I'm definitely going to do this at some point. Check it out here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425060

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
It may be trickier than we think (i.e. not just a matter of a cubbyhole). For example, the US E39 5-series body had a completely different lower dash panel than the E39s in the rest of the world. It was deeper/bulkier, and had all to do with how crash tests in the US were conducted (IIRC the dummies were tested without the seat belts on and tests showed their knees buckled under the dashboard, so for the US they had to be revised.)

Ask me how I know, almost went for the Euro conversion on my M5 (only cost precluded it as I had the full leather interior and the panels were over $2K , but plenty people that didn't have the full-leather options did buy the lower Euro dash which was a few hundred bucks and very much worth the upgrade - significantly less weight and of course the cubbies). I actually helped my friend install his after we bought it from Dave Zeckhausen. Check out the before and after pics.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/eurodash.htm

PS: May be worth doing a Euro conversion for our Ms if indeed its the same case here
Wow, I had no idea the US market E39 had a different lower dash panel like that. I wonder how many other BMW models are drastically different like that for US crash standards. The Euro dash looks significantly better in that E39 as well. Thanks for the info.