View Single Post
      08-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #44
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
You are correct, but you presume clutch slippage is a good thing. Only full engagement or disengagement is a good thing for performance and clutch life.

Don't get me wrong, I love a manual for many of the same reasons you do. But I had to concede the DCT was better 99.99% of the time, especially in shift timing and in always flawless engagements, although one can come close on the latter, but cannot shift as quickly. Frankly, I was a little sad, but I had seen the future and had to swallow my pride and 6MT ambitions and acknowledge the superiority of BMW's implementation of the DCT.

Curse you BMW! But thank you too for such a great implementation!
You won't get argument from me on how good these dual clutches trannies are, and their overall performance speaks for itself.

My point is about the manual experience, in term of driver interaction in comparison.

I don't want to debate the issue, but clutch slippage and it's use is part of driving a manual. And, knowing how to use it is part of the interaction.
Using it correctly is a good thing. Best example is proper launch from standstill. Perhaps you don't like the term "slip"? We can use modulate.
However, proper modulation sometimes requires a proper amount of clutch slip.
Appreciate 0