View Single Post
      05-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #57
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I see a lot of unrealistic expectations from sellers trying to unload cars with huge mod lists. That's ubiquitous to selling cars, though, not something specific to the 1er crowd. I think it's really hard to sell a car with mods and get much of any of the value of the mods back out. I think you're doing well to get 20% of the value of the mods on top of the car, but many people will not be willing to pay any more than 0%. There are a number of reasons why, such as their ability to get a loan, and the mod list including a fraction of items that might be of interest (eg. I could care less if a car has a $1500 carbon fiber lip).

When the thread started it was discussing 1-2 year old cars. Now 4-5 year old cars are at a price point where someone shopping a WRX, Evo, BRZ, 370Z ,Miata, etc. might think a used 135i with low miles makes a lot of sense. It's really a great platform besides some maintenance issues. Sell it after HPFP work is done and with fresh water pump, coils, plugs, and carbon blast and it should be a great buy. I think depreciation should slow down a bit at the 3-5 year mark as the car's value is in more of a sweet spot for enthusiasts. I do think it has as I check bluebook every once in a while.

Also worth noting the new MSRP on the 1er has gone up quite a bit in the US since introduction. The ~$36k 135i standard is gone, essentially replaced with the M235i starting at $43k. Makes a used one look a lot more attractive as a new one is further out of reach.