View Single Post
      09-15-2017, 12:32 AM   #10
German Straight-6
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 328i & F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprp85 View Post
"Best" sound depending on what you want.

And no, I personally do not like ricey fart cans either.

You tend to always say resonator delete will make a car sound like shit but its case by cases, so let's not generalize here.
I agree. But for our cars in particular, with the absolutely brilliant factory designed resonator, why the hell would you want to remove that? You’d have to be insane. The res improves turbulent exhaust flow which is good for the engine while smoothing out the sound, getting rid of drone and rasp while tuning the exhaust more to sound how the engineers thought this engine should sound and let me tell you, they did a hell of a job with this resonator that everyone’s just cutting out. I’ve compared resonator vs no resonator on the n52 engine (n54 and n52 have almost the same resonator) and the difference is noticeable, you guys should try it yourselves.

But of course just like to mentioned to each their own. If you want an untuned exhaust note with drone then go ahead.

The general rule is that you want either a resonator or x-pipe. You lose 2-4ft/lb if you don’t have one or the other. That’s means you should NOT replace your resonator wth a y-pipe like the OP asked.
Appreciate 0