Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthebeans View Post
In Texas its a standard presumptive value. If the car is not previously titled or purchased out of state then imported Texas Residents are required to pay the difference in the stated standard presumptive value.

The good news is that SPV is not so bad some where between 5 &6 percent of the cars value. Much less than the 9% sales tax here in CA. Also in Texas on trade in you get the entire value of your trade reduced from the amount subject to SPV.

To the Original Poster....best advice is to shop around.
I forget what the exact rules are with SPV, but they don't always use it. In my case, they looked at my invoice and based the use tax on the vehicle's actual purchase price. Fortunately for me, since I acquired my 1er through Military Sales while stationed in Spain, the invoice was in Spanish and the clerk couldn't read it. So he calculated the use tax on the vehicle's base price, without options or destination fee added. Saved me a few hundred bucks.

A few years later I bought a 4Runner while stationed in CA. The dealer included CA registration in the sale (albeit at a reduced rate since I was an out-of-state resident in the military - I had to sign some sort of waiver, don't remember exact details). Anyway, when it was time to renew, I decided to switch to TX registration. I sent in my invoice and they again calculated the use tax based on the purchase price, but then they gave me credit for any sales tax already paid on the vehicle. Obviously CA sales tax > TX sales tax, so I ended up only paying the registration fee.

I think SPV might be used for cars that are beyond a certain age or something - in any case, two times out of two, it hasn't applied to me.