09-12-2012, 03:15 AM   #63
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175 View Post
I wouldn't say the 1M is anymore tail happy than a 135i, it's more direct.

It rewards drivers and punishes little girls.
A sudden stab on the throttle mid corner results in an abrupt sideways step of the tail, provided you're ready for it, it's one hell of a fun car to be in and I absolutely love it.
The 135 would respond more doughy to driver inputs which takes away from the fun and gives less confidence so you don't go there to begin with.

I can see many getting into trouble with a 1M, but only because we all think we're Schumachers!

... But back to the OP, glad I can still get PSS from Tirerack!
I hear you can pick up R888's for a good price on ebay.
Let me prefix this by saying I'm not a very good driver and you sound like a far better one.

I'm very fortunate to have a free access to the track and a few cars to abuse this privilege with! I generally keep all the antics off the street and on the track.

With the track 18" wheels with A050 I find the 1M to be extremely communicative and really progressive, I've had great fun and put down some half decent times in spite of myself.

I think the main issue for the 'tail happiness' are the PS2 and especially when they wear down a bit. You're definitely right, it's so easy to invoke it and have fun catching it.

But there are instances with the PS2s where you could be driving happily along and you take a roundabout a bit harder than you should have and it just steps out with not much warning and then you have to be on it! I personally had to go both pedal in to save myself. Scary stuff!

A few owners have experienced the same thing and it's savage! I think the PSS helps with this as it a far more communicative tyre and has more progressive loss of traction.