View Single Post
      12-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #15
teddyb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
I am planning on getting a CPO '09 Cayman-S with PDK when my BMW is turned in early next summer. They are starting to crack the <$50k barrier, figure they should be mid-40's by the time I'm ready.
I like the torque of my 335i, but I find it got boring after having it for a few months. There's nothing like winding up a NA engine to high RPM's, the x35 engine is better at low RPM's, but runs out of steam qucikly.
I have considered a 135i with DCT, but the Cayman handles so much better and I still have concerns about the HPFP issue.
Test drove a M3 with DCT (used) a few weeks ago, really liked the car, but can't see buying something with such poor gas mileage.
I'd like to start doing some DE's and I don't think the 135i would fare as well as either the Cayman or M3 on the track, without some mods, especially tires.
The free maintainence with new BMW's is nice, I know I'll be paying much more on the P-car, but I'm ready to make the move.
Having tested the PDK vs the DCT same day, I must say I like the DCT more - but thats purely personal. PDK is amazingly fast, but on the Cayman I think I would still go stick (whereas I'm getting DCT on my 1). Pricewise, the CPO 07's are still in the low 40's which was the main reason for my switch to the 135 brand new.

A PDK with the S engine will be a great car - just be VERY careful with trim issues. On a car that rigid with such a large trunk, you get a lot of rattles and "booms" when you hit any bumps. Mine spent a lot of time in the shop, and there was a recall or 3! The issues you will see on the Cayman boards are real, though I think think got better with the refresh (09 onwards I think).

I would insist on at least a 30-40min test drive on a used one. I think Porsche owners gennerally take care of their cars but man they are driven hard. I wouldn't buy out my lease

Having said that, it is awesome, and definitely and enthusiast's car. I just think I imagined myself more of an enthusiast than I am. In 3 years I only tracked once! The Caymans eat brakes and tires when driven hard - it was just too rich for my blood! That said I hope to be in a position to have a Boxster Spyder as a pure toy one day... that is an incredible machine!