View Single Post
      06-13-2010, 03:06 AM   #29
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
^ We need to have a long discussion over many shots of espresso. My fingers are going to fall off.

Grew up poor, have been fixing and working since I was little. Many 100k miles under my belt. Oil/filter change is 45 bucks, filter inspections, monitor mpg, All cheap insurance. Again, Can you explain why BMW delaships sell non-certfied preowned cars with <50k?
First, at least 50% of US BMW sales are leases.
Most of those are 3 yr leases resulting in mileage anywhere from 30k to 45k. BMW dealers can acquire these cars from auctions.
The dealer can choose to have the car "certified", and that costs money.
Certified cars also cost more in the market.
So, a dealer may decide that he can sell more BMW's if he keeps the price lower by not having it "certified". On the other hand, another dealer may feel that he can sell more BMW's by having the certified warranty, even though that car may cost more. It's a business decision dealers have to make.

Plus, the dealers have to decide which cars are worth certifying and which ones are not. If the vehicle is in exceptional cosmetic condition, then it may garner a certified warranty as it's more appealing to certain buyers.
If the car has been heavily used, then the added cost of certification may price the car out of the market due to it's poor cosmetic condition.

So, the answer is; it depends on a number of factors within the given market.
Appreciate 0