Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonus View Post
I've seen a TON of threads on oil, but I'm still wondering: is the recommended Mobil 1 0W-40 "LL1 approved" oil the same as the Mobil 1 0W-40 sold at places like Advance Auto Parts?

I've seen the pics Dackelone posted showing "European Formula" Mobil 1 but I suspect we can't get that in the US... just wondering if that's equivalent to the Mobil 1 in the US.

EDIT:

Hmmmm well maybe I answered my own question:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...l_1_0W-40.aspx

"BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01" is listed under "builder approvals"

The Mobil-1 European Blend 0w40 LL-1 oil is sold on base(US Army), thru the PX. It is the SAME oil you guys can find in the states. It costs about $7 per quart.

I use German Castrol RS Edge 0w40 LL-4 because... I came to realize that usng German fuel - that is low in sulfur requires us to use an LL-4 rated oil. And NOT an LL-1 rated oil.

I also like the fact that the German Castrol oil makes the engine quieter and it runs a lot cooler (two needle widths lower than with Mobil-1). So this is why I spend 70 euros for seven liters of G.C. LL-4 oil plus 10 euros for a BMW oil filter. I change my oil oil myself. I think it is worth it using the G.C. oil.

IF I lived in the states I would be using the BMW oil (also made by Castrol) sold at any dealer. Over here that oil sells for 23 euros to 33 euros PER liter! Nein Danke.

I think the oil change kits that Tischer or United sell is a GREAT deal! I would be snaping those up IF I was livng back in the USA.

Dackel
Appreciate 0