mcx_
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe, 991 50th edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by smq42 View Post
Great write-ups.

I'd love to hear Pete's and others' thoughts on driving the 1M vs an air-cooled 993 or the outgoing water-cooled 997--not the turbo or GT3 models, just the straight six engines.

I realize that the 1M has more HP and more torque than the 993 and similar numbers compared to the 997. I don't care about numbers or which car is "faster."

But, what's it like to drive these cars, both on the track and on day-to-day road use? Thx.
I had a 2005 997 c2s for 7 years until summer '12, overlapping with my 1m for about 10 months. Now have 991 c2s 50th anniversary. The 997 was a great car, the longest I have ever owned 1 car, but I found I was using it less and less. I loved driving it, but my wife rarely was a passenger, complaining it was too harsh + noisy etc, so we never went anywhere together in it. Not a good reason in itself to change but the 1m is a great compromise for practicality, quiet touring and hooning around when you want to, so it get used a lot more. I think the steering on the 1m is as good as the 997 , different to the 991 which actually has more front grip but less feel than the 1m. The 1m has better inherent balance than anything I have ever owned. I understand the earlier review where the 1m is great up to 9 tenths, but the 911s have greater depth of talent, only really discovered on the track, higher quality damping and ultimately better control especially when really pushing it. The 991 is a very talented machine but I love the simplicity of the manual 'box, great steering, non adjustable dampers and balance of the 1m. Luckily I don't have to choose between the 2 at the moment.
Appreciate 0