08-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #13
acediac
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M, F30 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP 1///M View Post
Congrats on your new purchase - North American cars don't seem to have the EfficientDynamics display on so I was curious when you say "suggested gear" as I don't have that - I'm kind of used to keeping the revs low under normal circumstances (occasionally drive my sister's 2012 Golf R which is direct-injected turbo 2.0). 1500 rpm seems to be a sweet spot for me if I'm feeling relaxed, 2500 rpm if I want it to be playful. For me, I came from an AWD STi swap so revving a motor is 2nd nature (and 8k redline sounds so nice) but this have quite a different soundtrack, and you don't really need to redline it either as the torque curve is flat and starts low (and drops early as well)
On page 6 of the BMW_1M_Technical_Training.pdf (see Artemis's Manuals post ) you can see the Up and Down arrow on the top right of the bottom middle display - that is what changes to a recommended gear number when it thinks you should change. Up and Down means you are in the "correct" gear.

Yeah, have to relearn driving a flat-torque engine... it's counter intuitive to me that shifting at 6000 rpm (well before the redline) is the most optimum... it feels like short shifting!
Appreciate 0