View Single Post
      07-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #1
Matthew35TT
Rep
Drives: white 2008 135i 6spd

Nightmare situation (turbos/wastegate)

Hi everyone. Not a regular member Just wanted to share my experiences in the last 6 months.. any recommendations would be great.

I bought my N54 135i in January. 94k miles (first mistake), 6spd, 1 owner, nav, m package, sport seats, basically every option. Got it for under $14,700 from a used car dealership (second mistake) The car drove great. Super quick, fun to drive, everything I wanted. I figured Id keep it for at least 3-4 years so I decided to purchase an extended warranty from Endurace due to the high mileage i bought it with (third mistake).

30 days later my wastegate is rattling like a rattlesnake. When starting a pull from low rpms, in any gear 2-6, the "engine malfunction" message appears. I figured this is due to my failing turbos. the engine is asking the turbos to work hard and spool up quickly and they cannot. Low air pressure? leak? After bringing it to BMW of Morristown for a $187 diagnosis, they tell me my vacuum lines and hoses are causing the issue. They quote me $900, I get the lines myself and get it done for 75$ elsewhere. Same issue still occuring. I bring it back and tell them its the turbos. They quote me for the turbos but note on the quote "failing wastegate." This is exactly what the warranty company wants to see. They tell me the wastegate is not covered, only the turbos. So I request a revised quote from the dealership knowing they are on my side as they would love to do the service since it was quoted at $7,100. They call me back saying my warranty company is a scam and they wont budge at all. The turbos are indeed failing but they are what is causing the wastegate to fail. Anyone have any similar experience/recommendations? At this point Im just looking to get the car fixed and then sell it.

I made the mistake of getting a high mileage BMW and purchasing a aftermarket warranty, two things Ill never do again.