View Single Post
      10-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #10
godmans
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / 335i / X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post
gets rid of a resonator. not really a big deal, IMO.
Echoing the above 100%

Understanding that this will also be a debate between two groups of folks, let me speak as someone that has taken the time to experiment between the two setups:

Scope of this discussion is for 135i only, with N55 mids

1) Put on the BMW PE rear section first:
I am extremely pleasantly surprised that I get so much crackle and pops, typical BMW exhaust rasp @ startup and over-run, as well as growl under WOT while this technically has 0 drone under highway speed and that I can actually carry out conversations on highway cruise as in the exhaust is close to stock

Yet, I always ask myself the "what if" question and proceeded with cutting up my mids to put on the Ypipe

2) Put on the Ypipe subsequently:
I always thought just like any Ypipe in other 6 cylinder cars that I owned, would be responsible for cleaning-up the unnecessary rasp and have nothing to do with overall volume and or drone...

I was right above the overall volume as it didn't change much, however, what caught me by surprise is that the removal of the resonator did not change the "characterisitics" and overall volume at WOT of the BMW PE at all, instead, it returns with some obvious drone under load at the 1800~2800rpm range.

Understanding that exhaust sound is extremely objective, but thought some of you might benefit from my experience as I can bet most folks who comment on the Ypipe didn't really take the time to do this comparsion exercise.

Lastly, for those that have said BMW PE minus Ypipe =/~ Stock Golf tee, I can tell you that the BMW PE minus Ypipe has a lot more rasp, crackle and pops and a very different "tone" than stock golf tee.

Hope this helps =)
Appreciate 0