05-02-2016, 04:49 AM   #10
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Let me clarify. Sticky tires are nice, but why put them on the car when you can't even make use of them in anything more than a straight line? Tires with less traction are nice because you don't need to push the car super aggressively to come to the limit. Even without pushing yourself much you can keep a nice edge on a car that is not stuck to the road, but gliding. To avoid crashing, you don't want to push your limits too much on a public road, but for parking lots, and open areas, it pays dividends to really push yourself and learn how the car handles at the limit. I see so many posts about how one person or another disabled DSC and ended up spinning out on this or that public road. It leaves me terribly sad every time I hear this, because the first thing I do when I start the car is disable DSC, and I slide the hell out of the car everywhere on my bald rear tires. I have car control, which is a skill ANY driver can learn and it makes driving an absolute pleasure. In any case, for street driving, a responsible driver stays within the car's limits and his own limits--tires are not going to cause anybody to crash, but a driver who doesn't understand his tires can crash. Now, unless the OP's tires are outright defective, they will have quite a lot of traction to spare for legal driving in all conditions. I don't doubt that they will spin a lot under throttle, but this is just one more part of the car to learn to control. I have no issues controlling mine with bald 245 runflats, tune + downpipe.

Also, as far as his car squirming above 120 kph, it happens. His tires have full tread depth and soft sidewalls. He may need an alignment too. It's not a big deal.
Jeez mate that's a crazy frame of mind to have...

What happens if a car pulls out on you when you're doing 70 km/h.. You can't allow for these scenario's and drive within the tyre's limits as you put it...

I'm a high believer in paying extra for premium tyres as they may pull you up a few meters sooner in an emergency braking situation. If a pedestrian was to run out on you, those few metres may be the difference between that pedestrian from being killed or escaping death...

Then of course premium tyres always have so much more feedback through the steering wheel, respond to transitions more effectively, are quieter etc etc
Appreciate 0