View Single Post
      05-02-2016, 06:59 PM   #11
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Jeez mate that's a crazy frame of mind to have...

What happens if a car pulls out on you when you're doing 70 km/h.. You can't allow for these scenario's and drive within the tyre's limits as you put it...

I'm a high believer in paying extra for premium tyres as they may pull you up a few meters sooner in an emergency braking situation. If a pedestrian was to run out on you, those few metres may be the difference between that pedestrian from being killed or escaping death...

Then of course premium tyres always have so much more feedback through the steering wheel, respond to transitions more effectively, are quieter etc etc
So you're saying that any tires other than high performance summer tires are unsafe? Why stop there? Run racing tires for the ultimate in road safety!

Seriously, paying attention is the one and only thing that will save you on the road. If you are so caught by surprise by someone pulling out (when you're traveling at the low speed of 70kph, mind you) that you can only slam on the brakes and pray that your tires will stop you, you've already given up control and are gambling. Trying to compensate for lack of attentiveness with tires that are at best 25% more sticky (.8->1.0G) than the absolute worst possible economy tire doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

Feedback from a tire will depend mostly on tread depth and sidewall stiffness. And a lot of the grippiest summer tires are actually pretty loud.
Appreciate 0