View Single Post
      04-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
lamal3
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I just got my car back yesterday and it didnt take two weeks to get the car back but 1 month. It took so long to get back, but it drives the way it should now. On the report it mentions that they exchanged the transmission so I don't think they kept the old one. I checked under the hood to see that they did use new parts. I assume that this repair would be considered major since it took so long to figure out and diagnose. I am pretty amused at how so of the people who work at BMW have no real clue or idea at what they do. Nobody has much knowledge about the job they do, it gets frustrating when you pick up the vehicle to only sign papers and not get real answers from proper people. I'm glad now that my car is working the way it should but I do notice that my oil is only halfway and not full. Is that normal? I only hope that my warranty dosent go out before another major repair comes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
The symbol you describe is the "transmission fail safe mode light"

The transmission detected a fault, shifts into third gear and stays there irrevelant of what you try to do....until you turn it off, and it resets..

BMW does not allow dealers to open up trnasmission, except to replace what we call "valve bodies" or what BMW calls a "mechatronic" ... If the faults are for catostrophic failure or impending failure then BMW authorizes a replacement.. a dealer can not change an auto trans on there own BTW.

Trannys are rare failures... but it happens.. i wouldnt be too beat up about it. oh and BTW also, all BMW transmission replaced under warranty are "remanufactured" >>> do not read into this as used, or some sort of cheap way out.. all the trannys go back to GM or ZF and the cases are gutted, and reused with basically all new components inside... they are legally just not allowed to use the word new..because the case is reused and there are import things and duties and stuff also the benefit them that it is not a "new" part..

The 2 weeks i think is them covering there arse a little too much.. they will get it sooner..
Appreciate 0