First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCC4321 View Post
Hello 1Addicts
I just picked up a 2011 135i M Sport DCT. This is my daily driver, but I plan on tracking the car.

What do I need to know to keep this car happy and healthy?

I have a Cayman S race car so I don't want to get extreme, but want it to handle very well on and off the track.
I tend to like my street cars stiff, but I need it to be a good reliable, comfy commuter? I know its a compromise.

I have been thinking about a cheaper coil over kit, H&R, Eibach...Thoughts?
Ajustable Swaybars.
Camber plates- 1M Control arms
NT-01, 888, RS3- for track any issues when using R compounds?

Are there any reliability mods that need to be done?

Thanks in advance
If you have a Cayman track car you're in for a surprise, but maybe not in a good way. Good news tons of torque. Bad news everything else not quite as good as a Cayman. Grip can be addressed with tires without sacrificing much else in terms of drivability. For the track/street R-S3's or if you've got the coin track only Hoosier R6's 245/35/18 squared.

If you want to eliminate most of the understeer then consider the full M3/1M conversion minus the strut tower brace. It won't affect livability on the street too much and you can dial in some negative camber (about 1.25 deg.). If you want you can set the toe out a bit to give you quicker turn in, but it makes it a little darty for daily driving. You can then either do coil-overs or spring/shock combo (less expensive). I'm not aware of any adj. sway bars for the 1. They may be out there, but I'm not sure.

Lastly brakes. This is a heavy car, especially in comparison to a Cayman, so the brakes would need to be addressed for track duty. There are a couple of DIY fixes for cooling the brakes, but I'd swap the pads/lines/fluid at a minimum.

After that you'd have a pretty darn quick track day car. Keep in mind that our cars cool themselves ok in stock trim, but the stock intercooler is not that good for track day stuff. When you address the power which is easy with a tune cooling may be needed in conjunction with the tune to keep heat soak at bay while on the track.

My .02 cents tires 1st susp. 2nd brakes 3rd power/cooling/lsd last. Of course you could always say screw it throw on a JB4, run e85, and drift around the whole track. That'd be fun too.
Appreciate 0