02-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
Purgatory
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondamxracer51 View Post
if you have adaptive xenon lights there is 3 major parts. xenon control unit, bulb and ignitor are together in 1, and stepper motor control(smc). the smc is what controls the aiming of the lights(adaptive) they are all located on the headlight. the xenon control unit is usually in the middle on the bottom and the smc is off to the side usually. i work for a dealer and even our techs have trouble diagnosing headlights. if any one of those things go out it could cause a fault or the whole light not to work. one way i have found the easiest way to find the problem is to swap parts side to side and see when the problem transfers. from what ive seen is it probably doesnt need all of them unless they all got water in them. the stepper motor and xenon control units are external but they have a seal between them and the light. if water got in the light it could have burned out the actual headlight where it attaches to the control units. i would pull it apart and look for water damage or burned plugs and try swapping parts side to side. the part numbers are the same left and right for all the parts. if u need help you can PM me any questions and i will try to help you out.
Wow, great post! Learned something new.
Appreciate 0