Ski Killset
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Killset View Post
Magnusen Moss warranty act was put into law in 1976. Dealer has to prove that aftermarket parts caused the failure in order to deny warranty claims.
Legally that's true, but they can deny the claim and tell you to pound sand, leaving you to retain a lawyer to sue them over it, which is unlikely to be worth it. Even if you win, and they have to pay your fees, you've wasted a lot of your own time.

Also, if you have an issue that's closely related, like a ball joint fails on one of the control arms they could say it was plausibly the camber plate's changes that caused more stress on the part. Spending thousands on a lawyer and dozens of hours of your time isn't worth the risk such a suit would go in your favor.

It's very unlikely the dealership will deny a claim on your air conditioning breaking due to camber plates, or similar. A much more likely scenario of something being denied would be parts or systems that are closely related. Things like intakes, exhausts, or tunes then you lose a rod bearing or ringland. In those circumstances I think you are SOL. Especially with a tune that fudges drastically with engine load, that's a lot of extra stress on the engine.

The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is really about protecting consumers with regards to replacement parts, not performance parts. I.e. so you can get an aftermarket oil filter, air filter, bushing, alternator, etc. rather than get gouged by replacement parts by the manufacturer. If the part in question is changing the suspension configuration or doing something like drastically changing engine load (again, like tunes), there is a very high plausibility of that being seen as causing issues.
True. I just found it easier to marry an attorney. Actually, come to think about it, that wasn't easier...
Appreciate 0