View Single Post
      06-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
BlackFlash
poseur (for now)
Canada
Rep
Drives: a piece-o-crap

In case this post intimidates too many people, let me try and help get the ball rolling (disclaimer: as someone who doesn't actually own a 1 series, take my responses with a grain of salt)

You may want to post this in the General forum as well for more exposure.

1. You can't put a magnetic block heater on it cause the block isn't magnetic, but a non-magnetic type one should be fine? Maybe an oil pan heater?

2. No idea...

3. There are certainly threads around here talking about the windows freezing to the weather stripping in the winter and DIY solutions to fix the problem. Never heard reference to the windows auto rolling down a bit when you opened the door.

4. Haven't read anything negative about leatherette, but lots of positive. The only complaint I recall is that it's not actually leather. I doubt it would be particularly bad.

5. The configurator at bmw.ca is particularly restrictive. You need to talk to a SA to get a better idea what is and is not possible, but my understanding is pretty much anything is possible but some may incur an extra charge. I think some of the less common colours are deemed Priority 1, but I know people in the States with the free leather have still been able to get those without issue.

6. Maybe not as much room as you'd think (or hope?). I am not aware of invoice prices in Canada for the 2011s...you're best off going to carcostcanada, getting the invoice price with it optioned as you like, add the mandatory 3-8% and working from there. They are a lot cheaper in the states so there should be more room than there probably is!

7. ...

8. It's a new engine that just hasn't had a tune released for it yet...I'm sure it will come shortly as the tuners figure it all out. There was some skepticism that the new engine would be as tunable as the twin turbo N54 but my guess would be the numbers will be pretty close.

9. The hpfp issues are certainly disconcerting. Many many people have had that problem, and no doubt many have not as well. The jury is still out on whether or not the problem persists on the N55s (I know a few people have suggested it does) but the numbers aren't out there to confirm it. There is also a chance the latest hpfp revision from BMW is not afflicted. But at the end of the day, the hpfp is covered under warranty for a long time (likely will be extended like the old ones if the problem is rampant) and you can't live your life in fear.
Appreciate 0