View Single Post
      04-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #108
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkdog View Post
Regarding seafoam, is it something that will help me as a 128 owner, and at 20,080 on the clock is it a preventive maintenance item I should consider doing? I drive 12-14 miles to from work, lots of start/stop, but do air her out on the weekends.

Also, are there any consequences to the use (proper or improper) of seafoam on the 128i engine?
Some will say that regularly giving your engine a Seafoam or other combustion chamber cleaner will keep your engine cleaner longer.
If you intend to keep your car for a long time and put a lot of miles on it, then regular cleaning is no bad thing.

ALL engines will have some carbon buildup over time, and most buildup happens early in an engines life.
At 20K is a cleaning needed?
I'd check the plugs first to see if everything is good.
If I were keeping a 128i for the long haul I'd wait till around 50K, right before a spark plug change and do it then.
If you are experiencing running problems then of course sooner is better than later.

NA engines tend to run cleaner, internally, compared to turbo engines.
Direct injection combined with boost seems to be getting more attention from carbon buildup.

Do you get a good run time with your oil temp gauge showing nice and hot? 12-13 mile commute isn't that short given overall running time, which allows for heat build up.
Appreciate 0