View Single Post
      01-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by semaj View Post
Could you elaborate on why one should use a bigger front bar? I hear conflicting opinions--one should "in theory" use a bigger rear bar or as my racer buddy told me, a bigger front bar is what actually helps counter the understeer of the vehicle as opposed to a bigger rear bar.

this may be a long post for me

In a mostly stock car or lightly tuned a bigger rear bar is great at helping understeer. it is also a great for autocrossing.
For myself and the way I like my car set up there are too many adverse effects of a large rear bar. one way I like to start this is to think about one of the great features of BMW's, INDEPENDANT rear suspension. the rear sway bar connects the rear suspension the larger your rear sway bar the less independent your rear suspension is. It makes lift throttle over steer More sever, abrupt and also lifts(takes weight off) the inside rear wheel when corning. this makes it harder to put the power down coming out of a corner. so that's my quick explanation for disliking a big rear bar.
the reason I put a big front bar in is because of the McPherson strut suspension. there is a point especially in a lowered car when you start to loos neg camber. so with a setup track suspension you want as little roll of compression in the front end. so you get a ++ with the front bar it helps the car maintain neg camber and front grip while helping the rear stick and stay planted. by the way BMW developed its own huge stiff front sway bare for E46 race cars.
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...T_ID=BMWMSFSBK

so as for basic tuning to make up for under steer I start with alignment(the first step with the 1er will be bigger front tires), then spring & shock tuning and sway bar is absolutely last. now this is just my feeling and the way my cars fell good to me. I also know some people in the SCCA with rear wheel drive cars that completely remove there rear sway bar. and others that have huge rear bars.
Appreciate 0