plasar
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Vert

Garage List
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
... But then again just yesterday I was reading about a flash that turns OFF the ECL and no one knows it until they try to go thru an emissions test. When they look at the ECU for Lambda values and see the O2 senors are truned off... the car fails!
Dackelone, agreeing with Michifan's point that it's best to back up your contentions with evidence, can you post here where you read about a flash that turns off the ECL (?)/O2 sensors?

I find this highly unlikely - I doubt a modern engine could run well without an O2 sensor feed. A tuner would be nuts to ignore this data.

Wikipedia - Oxygen Sensor

You might be referring to the point below in the Wikipedia article, but this is only in "high load" conditions. You need to provide some context. I'd also like to know who the source was - an engineer at the tuning company or just someone posting in a forum.

"When an internal combustion engine is under high load (e.g. wide open throttle), the output of the oxygen sensor is ignored, and the ECU automatically enriches the mixture to protect the engine, as misfires under load are much more likely to cause damage. This is referred to an engine running in 'open-loop mode'. Any changes in the sensor output will be ignored in this state. In many cars (with the exception of some turbocharged models), inputs from the air flow meter are also ignored, as they might otherwise lower engine performance due to the mixture being too rich or too lean, and increase the risk of engine damage due to detonation if the mixture is too lean."

Last edited by plasar; 08-21-2010 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0