View Single Post
      05-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
wjk_glynn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 C2S Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordia View Post
Our strut towers are much stronger than an E46 mount and I do not see a reason to have additional reinforcement for our cars for this reason. I have seen many struts bend before the mount does and only in severe impact do they mushroom and crack at the welds of the stock brace mounts.
Hi Bordia,

I agree they're definitely stronger than the E46 mount.

But there's some evidence that it may not be fully licked:
  1. Members MrBimmer, Xaeryan, onefastman and katsooba have reported mushrooming -- two from potholes, the others didn't explictly state what happened (Edit: Added reference to katsooba on 2013.05.07)
  2. I spoke to Dinan Service in Campbell (CA) and they've definitely seen this happen on both the E82 and E9x chassis - almost always after hitting a pothole or curb. Not to the level of causing cracks, 'just' an upward deformation which causes the studs to splay out a bit. The repair method is the wooden block & 3-lb hammer technique...
  3. I also spoke to BR Racing in Los Gatos (CA). They've raced a E82 and for track work they recommend reinforcement... with the Vorshlag plates as the way to go.

Hopefully I haven't come across as unduly alarmist, but I am trying to determine if some preventative reinforcment is worth doing (note that I typically track my cars 4-5 times per year).

Karl.

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 05-07-2013 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Fixed some more typos...
Appreciate 0