10-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #12
guitarguylp
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Performance

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
From your post you say you have two snow tires. You should always use 4 winter tires. I have heard some people use two winter tires in the front on FWD cars, but that is not an ideal situation, but better than just two winter tires on a RWD car. You need traction at all four corners. And if you get a good amount of snow, and ice it is worth while investing in some good quality snow and ice tires preferably on dedicated winter rims.

Also DTC mode for going up hills slowly, and I would recommend turning traction control back on full once you are going over about 20 MPH. Also weight in the trunk helps if you find traction lacking.

I just got my 128i, so this is my first winter with it, before that I had a Mercedes E320, then a C230 (both rear wheel drive). I have had Michelin X-ice, Nokian Hakapalita RSI, Gislaved Nordfrost 5 studded, and now I have Dunlop winter sport 3D (which I bought used for this car). If you live in a hilly area like I do go with a snow and ice tire not a winter performance tire. The difference from a performance winter to a snow and ice is about as big as the difference between all seasons, and performance winters.

From tire rack you can get a set of rims, and tires for about $1200 small price to pay to stay safe. If you are on a budget you should check for a used set locally like I did.
Appreciate 0