View Single Post
      11-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My oil level indicator is still at maximum after about 900 miles since I changed oil. I only added 6 quarts. So if I had added 7, it would be above maximum which would be hard to fix. I still don't know if it was the angle I had the vehicle at did not allow it to fully drain or what.

Any time you are not 100% confident how much oil to add it is a good idea to stop and check before adding the last amount. On a car that takes 4 quarts, I might add half the last quart and check it. On the bimmer, it seems safe to check after 6 quarts (i.e. running a quart low is not a big deal if you know you have 6 quarts in the engine). If you ever have to drain oil out, and I have, you will probably not add everything you think you need to without checking. Unfortunately, with no dip stick, you have to drive for a few miles to get a reading. It is a WHOLE lot easier to add a little bit more than it is to take some out in a controlled manner.

Jim