View Single Post
      01-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I put one of the Fumoto quarter turn ball valve drain plugs on my Suzuki SUV several years ago. It's drain plug goes horizontal - not at an angle like the 135i but horizontal. My first oil change was a disaster when I missed the pan initially and then again later when most of the oil was out. So I put in one of these drain plugs that has a nipple for a piece of clear plastic hose on the outlet. I drop the hose into the pan and move the lever. The opening is smaller so I go do something else for awhile. Works great.

But if you put a valve like this on a car with a near vertical drain plug you will loose ground clearance. They are long. You also need enough clearance around the drain plug to rotate it. It is somewhat wide. I'm not sure your bimmers are a good application for this in my opinion. It would allow you to avoid the mess but if your drain plug contacted the pavement it could damage the drain plug or possibly even the engine.

Jim