09-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
interesting.... vewwry vewwry interesting! (input best elmer fudd voice here )
A few years back I was at Porsche AG in Zuffenhausen(in Stuttgart) on a factory tour... our tour guide was pointing out the different color brake calipers on the various Porsche's being built there (911 & Boxster/Cayman)... black for standard models, silver/platinum for Carerra 4 and 4S (AWD) models, red for turbo models and yellow for ceramic brakes. Then he showed us the build sheets hanging from the hoods of the cars on the production line... each showed what country the car was destined for. USA, Canada, EU and RoW. I then asked him why some of the car were identified as PRESS (presse) cars! And then that is when I noticed every press car has RED brake calipers even the non sports models and every car had special looking cross hatch pattern on the brake rotors! Clearly the press cars at Porsche were getting some "special" parts that regular production cars did not get!

Later that day I walked across the street to the Porsche Zentrum (dealer) where there is a sort of mini museum of special historic race cars mixed in with the "factory demos" that are for sale... then I noticed the very same "special press cars" that had the red brake calipers were also "mixed in" for sale with some of the demo low mileage street cars. There were all good deals to be had... but I could spot which cars were just "slightly" different from the regular "demos". I would have no trouble owning one of those "press cars".

Dack
Appreciate 0