AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135is (#363/586)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyChop93
Hi Everyone,

After what felt like an interminable wait, my 135is convertible arrived on Thursday evening! I wanted to accrue a few pictures showcasing carbon blacks chameleon qualities before crafting a post. For those considering carbon black, I'd highly recommend it.

Specs:
2013 135is
6MT
Carbon Black (CB) exterior, black interior
Premium Package
Heated Seats
Auto Hi-Beams

Initial Impressions:
- Wicked car! Wow!!! OMG!!! Is she really mine? Simply sublime! What a machine!
- So this is my first BMW. Never thought I'd own one, let alone a new one, let alone a 135is...even when the "is" was first announced, I thought it was some other guy that would order that model. I still can't believe she's mine. Suffice it to say, bowled over by the experience to date.

Regarding Options:
(1) Love the 6MT! While I respect that the dual clutch offers fractionally better performance and that a 6MT is mostly impractical in dense-metro areas for a daily commuter, I lovelovelove the shifting experience with the 6MT.
(2) Sound system, pleased with the stock setup. If you are a true audiophile, best to avoid buyer's regret and get the HK, but easy enough to find 1-ers with both systems in dealer's lots to do a sound check for yourself.
(3) Navigation: Not missing the tech package yet and I like the clean dash. A matter of preference for sure, but, as I've said elsewhere, if cash is a concern, I'd get an "is" without tech over a 135i with tech every day of the week.
(4) Sport Package: Included in the "is" package, but for those considering other 1-ers, get this package! The seats are wonderful and the suspension is still compliant enough over bumps. Im a huge fan of shadow-line trim too.
(5) Auto High-Beams: The best $250 I will have ever spent. So impressive how the system switches from low to high, worked perfectly on a 20 mile country loop last night.
(6) I pre-ordered WeatherTech floor mats...good call for wintry or muddy climates. Very impressed, unscrew the velcro fasteners, screw in the inserts provided...perfect fit and good coverage for the slop.

Driving Impressions:
(1) What a feline! Turbine-like power delivery, so pleased to have the N55...wow; ample torque all over the rev range, what a temptress. Can anyone recommend a good radar/laser detector? ...I think I'm going to need one of those.
(2) PE: Lovely sound. Cold starts...invigorating...then mellows after 10-15 seconds. Can be modestly droning with resonance on uphill grades at low RPMs, but that's the only downside so far. Dropped the top in 34 degree weather today and can't wait to sample the sounds more when spring arrives. Im shifting at the 4,000 RPM mark so haven't heard the full growl yet...1,030 miles to go.

Gripes:
(1) On ride home from dealer, warning lights appeared...the yellow break light and a yellow DCT/DSC light (the car with the skid marks but no "off" lettering). Pulled the manual to interpret that...DCT/DSC had failed.
(2) Convertible top made a disconcertingly loud clunk on the first two openings.
(3) Radio picking up a high-frequency feedback signal...very annoying and occurring all over the range but mostly after shifting into fifth gear.

Fixes:
(1) Went to New Country BMW this morning, warning lights caused by a faulty setup of some sort; tech re-calibrated a setting (sorry, lack of details here) and she was all set.
(2) On the first top drop at the dealer, third total, no more clunking noise, perhaps just break-in was needed.
(3) This one is interesting, seems to be a faulty clutch relay. Generally, no noise until shifting out of fourth and into fifth, as soon as the clutch is displaced the frequency interference commences through the speakers. Once back down into third or lower, it goes away. Always triggered by the clutch push though...odd. New clutch sensor going in on Monday. Hopefully that sound will go away.

Actuals vs. Specs:
(1) The rear break lights are not smoked as they were on the initial is photo releases; this was not a surprise to me, but be aware if you are ordering yours that the bright lenses are standard.
(2) My mirror caps are body colored and not blacked out. Many on this site are blacked-out, not sure if that is an exterior-color-driven item.
(3) Rear wheel size is 245, not 255 as listed on BMWs spec page.

Thanks to those who posted before me, which helped me choose options and endure the wait from ordering to driving!

OK, picture time!!!
Gorgeous, i saw your car in the lot on Thursday morning and took a look at it. Went again this morning to try and get a price on the carbon black w/ terra 135is coupe but I was informed it was sold good luck and congrats with your purchase.
SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 0