View Single Post
      06-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
I think that, like all (?) dual-clutch transmissions, the DCT pre-selects the next gear (up or down) based on many factors. If the pre-selected gear isn't the one that's ultimately requested by the driver (the transmission has predicted an upshift and the driver requests a downshift, for example), there can be a perceptible lag in the shift. I think this is where people start to notice misbehaving shift paddles or laggy transmission behavior, particularly in regards to downshifts. I've owned a couple cars with dual-clutch transmissions and driven many more, including BMWs, and they've all exhibited some of the same behaviors with some worse than others. Just my $.02!
I see your point, and I agree.
In my test driving of DSG GTI's, the overall performance of the DSG is excellent. But, I too noticed that in certain circumstances the trans "logic" is not what is logical to me. This also happens with torque converter automatics that have manual mode.
I've found that to achieve best trans performance, and to be in the exact gear you want to be in, you have to drive the trans in FULL manual mode.
If you drive in auto or sport mode, and then override it from time to time with manual input, that is where the miscommunication seems to happen.
In auto mode the trans works by it's own logic mode. If you interrupt that logic with manual input there can be some odd behavior.

Maybe this happens more to drivers who come from MT preference and chose a manual capable AT. I know for me I find using the AT may be partially may fault as I need to decide if I want to do the gear selection ALL the time or just part of the time. Seems I tend to use the AT in a 'mixed' mode between auto and manual.

My next BMW is the new 335i and I chose the new 8spd sport AT.
I'm still questioning that decision, but am really intrigued by how fast and smooth this new ZF AT is, so I chose it. I'm not 100% on that decision as I keep flip flopping in my mind as to whether I will like it or not.
I still have a few weeks before it's built, so I can still change to MT.

Maybe I should go a do a couple more test drives with the sport AT and take a bit more time with it. Very rarely do I drive in heavy traffic. My commute is mostly clear traffic. So stop and go traffic isn't part of making my decision.
Appreciate 0